This post was written by Epalinski
Well I did it- I have officially kept two tiny humans alive for over a month. Yes I know I am far from the first person to accomplish this feat, but I am still giving myself a pat on the back (and a much needed glass of wine) to celebrate my small victory! Adjusting to life with two little ones has been a challenge at times, but it has also been a lot of fun (other than the potty training boot camp I am currently implementing for my older one- I swear I’d take childbirth over potty training any day!). One of the biggest adjustments to life as a family of four is just the lack of time to accomplish simple tasks. For instance, I used to prep dinner while Joey napped. But now when Joey naps, Jimmy is wide-awake and crying. Luckily he loves to be worn as much as his older brother did, which frees up my hands for some things, but I am just not comfortable baby wearing while cooking over an open flame.
Prior to Jimmy’s arrival, I had stocked up on healthy meals so we would be in good shape for the first few weeks. But now, those meals have run out and I have been finding myself just throwing random foods together at times out of desperation. Even though it’s a little chaotic right now and sleep deprivation is hitting us hard, I still want to make sure my family has nutritious meals to enjoy daily. And I want to make sure we aren’t eating the same meal day after day (which was a rut I was falling into as well). So what’s the best solution for a healthy meal when you are short on time? The crock-pot of course! I swear my slow cooker is my lifesaver. Any time you can just set a meal and forget it- I am all for it!
This Crockpot Cranberry Barbeque Meatball is a big hit with my family. What I love about it is how easily it pairs with any vegetable you enjoy. You can also make a large batch and freeze the leftovers for a quick meal (or snack!) anytime. And it makes a simple, yet delicious, option for when company stops by.
Crockpot Cranberry Barbeque Meatballs
Makes 16-18 Meatballs (4 servings)
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground turkey
- 1 egg, whisked
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Whole Cranberry Sauce
- 1 ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg, rolled oats, garlic, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Once well combined, roll meat into 1-inch balls. Repeat until all meat is rolled.
- In a saucepan with olive oil, lightly grill meatballs, until sides are browned and meatballs are firm, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
- In a crock-pot on low-heat, add grilled meatballs, cranberry sauce, and BBQ sauce. Let cook for 1-2 hours or until meatballs are cooked throughout. Serve with vegetables or on top of brown rice and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
280 calories, 27 g CHO, 13 g Fat, 13 g PRO, 3 g Fiber, 17 g sugar